Rotor Dynamics Analysis for Turbomachines with Active Magnetic Bearings
September 24th, 2020 | 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM EDT
Active magnetic bearings (AMBs) are widely used in high-speed industrial turbomachines such as turboexpanders, expander-compressor units, pumps, turbines, and so on. Utilizing active magnetic bearings in rotating machinery has many benefits such as reaching the lowest possible friction in a system and easier detuning from critical speeds which is possible due to the flexible control system providing the target bearing stiffness for each particular case. The AMB principal design includes actuators, controllers, sensors, and filters which make analyzing the dynamics of rotors in active magnetic bearings a challenging task. The analysis procedures are considerably different and highly complicated in comparison to the dynamics of rotors in fluid film and rolling element bearings. The interconnected nature of mechanical and electromagnetic processes in AMBs requires engineers to implement specialized algorithms and standardized procedures to accurately predict the response and stability of turbomachines with active magnetic bearings. These features and oddities add an additional level of complexity and require a comprehensive solution.
SoftInWay, a leading turbomachinery solutions provider, has accumulated a wealth of experience in the field of design and analysis of manifold rotor-bearing systems such as steam and gas turbines, axial/radial compressors, turbochargers, pumps, generators, motors, and etc. The deep and comprehensive knowledge of SoftInWay specialists allows them to introduce rotor dynamics analysis of turbomachines with active magnetic bearings and analyze what factors must be accounted for to predict their safe and reliable operation.
In this webinar, we will discuss the design and features of active magnetic bearings, as well as introduce the unique challenges which are faced by engineers engaged in modeling and analyzing this type of bearing. Special attention will be paid to complex calculation algorithms which are incorporated into the rotor dynamic analysis in active magnetic bearings. We will dive into the requirements and criteria for safe and reliable operation of turbomachines using active magnetic bearings. The final section provides a demonstration of rotor dynamics analysis of a turbomachine with active magnetic bearings using AxSTREAM RotorDynamics™. Afterwards, the attendees will have a strong understanding of the various interconnected processes of active magnetic bearings needed for a comprehensive analysis.
The webinar session will include:
- Introduction to active magnetic bearing design and the inherent challenges in rotor dynamics analysis of turbomachines with these bearings.
- Description of active magnetic bearing simulation algorithms and analysis procedures
- Case study on modeling and analyzing active magnetic bearings
- Software demonstration of AxSTREAM RotorDynamics™ for rotor dynamics analysis in turbomachines with active magnetic bearings
Who should attend?
- Rotating machinery equipment engineers and designers interested in calculating the rotor dynamics of machines with active magnetic bearings.
- Engineers and consultants interested in specialized procedures and standards for analyzing the dynamics of rotors in active magnetic bearings.
- Engineers and designers involved in rotating machinery design including active magnetic bearings as supports.
- Engineering students interested in the rotor dynamics analyses of turbomachines in active magnetic bearings.