Rapid Reverse Engineering and Digital Twin Development with AxSTREAM
January 21, 2021 | 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM EST
Reverse engineering plays a vital role in turbomachinery development, maintenance, re-rates, and life prediction/extension strategies. Unlike the traditional design process which begins with a concept/technical specifications and works towards a finished component, reverse engineering starts with an existing component and seeks to improve upon or redesign that machine. Once a model has been reverse engineered, a digital twin can be created and calibrated. This “twin” lives in a virtual system and is supplied with all the data and insights that come from its physical counterpart (which is helpful for benchmarking, improving legacy products, and even upgrading non-OEM equipment). Digital twins can also be used for preventative maintenance to maintain desired performance, for example, or to prevent the machine from reaching unstable/unwanted operation. That said, this process of digitalization is not without its challenges such as:
- Difficulty acquiring a pristine component to reverse engineer
- Issues capturing and reproducing hardware characteristics due to poor or limited data.
- Trouble using that data to then draw key insights which can be parameterized and modeled
- Risk of human error
Reverse engineering software like AxSLICE from the AxSTREAM platform makes this digitalization process quick, easy and accurate by providing engineers with a parametric model of their machine. Once the turbomachine has been brought to a simulation platform the end goals could be to replicate legacy designs (for improvements, rerates or redesigns), benchmark an as-is geometry (including degradation due to operation on the field) or simply to collect data for monitoring purposes. Having professional tools such as AxSTREAM is crucial to perform complete reverse engineering and create a digital twin quickly and with minimal errors.
In this follow-along webinar, attendees will learn how to reverse engineer any turbomachine and build its digital twin utilizing the AxSTREAM Platform. All engineers, whether from service providers, OEMs or overhaul businesses, will be walked through how to evaluate and analyze existing turbomachinery flow paths and develop new high-efficiency designs for existing axial and radial turbomachines. This will be an interactive webinar where a SoftInWay engineer will take you step-by-step through the reverse engineering, digital twin creation, and analyses of example cases. We recommend that you install the trial software and files on your PC before this webinar, but it is not required.
This session will include:
- Brief introduction and overview of various reverse engineering and digital twin workflows
- Reverse engineering of a radial and an axial machine (CAD model or scanned points cloud) with AxSLICE
- Digital twin creation to analyze and modify reverse engineered machines with AxSTREAM’s 1D/2D solver
- Performance map plotting and characteristic prediction with AxMAP for design and off-design operation
- 1-month trial license for the software used in this webinar. Restrictions apply. Contact Learn@SoftInWay.com for details
Who should attend?
- Mechanical engineers involved in reverse engineering and digital twin technology
- Engineers who want to analyze, troubleshoot, redesign or optimize their existing machines using real-time, real-life data.
- Manufacturers who want to save time and money on physical testing by using a virtual prototype
- Managers who would like to expand their knowledge about the capabilities of modern reverse engineering and digital twin tools
- University faculty members and students who specialize in turbomachinery and are interested in reverse engineering and digital twin technology