AxSTREAM – Educational Versions
The educational versions of AxSTREAM provide students and faculty with
state-of-the art turbo-machinery design and multidisciplinary optimization
software at minimal expense to enrich their educational experience by
working with real-world design tools. AxSTREAM is the program of choice
for educational institutions wanting to focus more time on teaching
turbomachinery design and multidisciplinary optimization principles rather
than scattering the learning process over separate engineering systems
AxSTREAM educational versions are available for:
- Axial Gas and Steam Turbines
- Axial Compressor
- Centrifugal Compressor
- Radial Turbine
These programs constitute a “learn as you go” course that
aids students in understanding the overall design and performance
principles of turbo-machinery through the same fully interactive
AxSTREAM™ commercial program used by your industrial customers.
The educational version is configured to be easily integrated into
the teaching process and course curricula.
With the AxSTREAM educational version, the student (individually
or in study teams) will be able to:
- Design a flow path based on given overall application requirements;
- Appreciate the interactions between aerodynamic performance and mechanical integrity;
- Perform design optimization encompassing 1D and 2D direct problem computation;
- Generate cascade profiles that easily relate to aerodynamic theory;
- Search for optimal twist law of classic and long blades;
- Perform fully 3 dimensional blade design with custom lean and sweep
This powerful software permits the student(s) to validate the course theory
and gain practical skills, explore the main steps of real flow path design
process and experience “live” interactions between flow path parameters and
The convenient and intelligent interface allows the student to test all “what if”
variants and provides the ability to check thousands of cases in minutes to find
suitable sets of design parameters for each stage of design.
“We are pleased to announce our agreement to employ AxSTREAM for teaching Gas Turbines and
Turbomachinery during the academic year F09-SP10. The instruction of 3D aspects
of design with the sole aid of the blackboard and projector is a vexing endeavor, while AxSTREAM
allows ready visualization and modification of spanwise shape distribution. We think that students
will gain a much better understanding of 3D considerations using the visual and analytical tools
provided by SoftInWay.”
Dr. Horacio Perez-Blanco,
Professor of Mechanical Engineering,
The Pennsylvania State University
For the faculty and staff:
- Unique conceptual turbomachinery design and multidisciplinary optimization tool
- Fast learning curve
- Minimal investment, discounts for multiple seats
- Runs on standard PC or laptop with minimal requirements
- Easy to implement into curriculum
- Increases productivity and student interest level
For the student:
- Easy learning based on “what if” basis
- Dynamic learning environment with intuitive Windows based interface
- Portability – works on any standalone PC or laptop.
- Develops highly valued, “marketable” design skills
How to Order
AxSTREAM Educational Version (AEV) is available on a yearly or quarterly license version.
For AxSTREAM Educational Version license policy and pricing, please contact
To purchase AEV - Special promotion online, address
AEV order form.
Free e-mail response support is available from
Tech. Support Dept.
AxSTREAM Education Version (Axial) Limitations
- limited number of stations for 2D-calculations and blade design (<=5)
- limited number of profile points (<= 120)
- limited number of projects per session (1 project)
- limited number of stages in machine (<= 5) for design and analysis
- ideal gas with custom R and k usage only
- features such as ATLAS; blade geometry export; optimization #3 for stage; profile optimization by minimal loss are inaccessible.
AxSTREAM Education Version (Radial) Limitations
- limited number of stations (<= 3);
- limited number of projects per session (1 project);
- ideal gas (k=1.4) usage only;
- features such as ATLAS (profile database) and blade geometry export are inaccessible.
Basic Computer Requirements to run AxSTREAM
- 32/64-bit Intel® or compatible 2GHz (or higher) processor, minimum 2GB RAM
- MS Windows XP/Vista/7 operating system
- graphics adapter with minimal vertical resolution >=800 px, with OpenGL support.