Axial or Radial? Selecting the Ideal Turbomachinery Configuration Considering Rotor Dynamic Constraints
September 7th, 2023 | Start Time 10:00AM – 11:00AM EDT
Turbomachinery configurations, whether axial or radial, play a crucial role in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and energy. Selecting the optimal design for these machines represents a significant multidisciplinary challenge, as it directly impacts both performance/efficiency and reliability. While aerodynamics is important, it cannot fully resolve concerns such as elevated rotor vibrations, which may lead to premature damage and catastrophic failure. Incorporating rotor dynamics restrictions during early turbomachinery design phases is vital. But how do we address the fundamental question of designing an ideal turbomachine that excels in both reliability and efficiency, considering aerodynamics and rotordynamics?
In a previous webinar we addressed the challenge of selecting the ideal turbomachinery configuration through generative design, accounting for aerodynamic constraints. In this webinar, we will examine that same challenge accounting for rotor dynamic restrictions. We will explore a design approach that includes preliminary rotordynamics estimations during the early development stages. The webinar will also contain a case study examining how flow path design (radial or axial), rotor parameters, and operating conditions influence rotor response. The webinar will conclude with a live demonstration on how to leverage the AxSTREAM platform to utilize this information and make key design decisions early in the development process. By the end of this webinar, attendees will have an understanding of how to make informed decisions between axial and radial designs based on the results of preliminary rotordynamic analysis. This in turn will result in an optimal design that meets both efficiency and reliability standards and reduces time-consuming iterations during the final stages of design activities.
This webinar will contain the following:
- Review of the rotor design process considering design, aerodynamic, structural, and rotordynamic aspects.
- Strategies to select the ideal turbomachinery configuration considering rotor dynamic constraints demonstrated through a case study
- Demonstration of the rotordynamic analysis process including all mandatory simulations which must be applied at the preliminary design stage to avoid future reliability problems and to choose an ideal turbomachinery configuration.
Who should attend?
- Turbomachinery designers, project managers, and engineering personnel working on and developing efficient and reliable machines.
- Rotating machinery equipment engineers involved in turbomachinery design.
- Engineering students interested in expanding their understanding of industrial strategies for turbomachinery design and optimization
In addition to the webinar, attendees will have the opportunity to participate in a guided 2-hour AxSTREAM RotorDynamics workshop and a short-term trial to explore the tools used in the presentation. The training will take place on Thursday, September 14th, from 10 AM to 12 PM. Please indicate your interest when registering for this webinar, and a member of our team will be in touch.
* To be eligible for the workshop, you must register using a business email address and must attend the webinar session.