Steam Turbine Design - Software and Services
It goes without saying that designing an efficient steam turbine is no simple task. The time investment alone can be daunting, let alone the cost. Taking on a project such as this can be extremely difficult and it is with this in mind that SoftInWay developed AxSTREAM in 2003 for axial turbines with an emphasis on steam turbines. At this point, the SoftInWay team had been servicing the turbomachinery engineering community for over four years, providing consulting on these types of projects. Our extensive expertise provided us with the capabilities to assist clients with design, analysis, and optimization of steam turbines, but we also wanted to provide them with, not only the services, but also the tools to create an efficient, highly functional piece of turbomachinery while cutting costs and saving time.
AxSTREAM® for Steam Turbines
The AxSTREAM platform is a multidisciplinary turbomachinery design, analysis and optimization software tool. AxSTREAM® progresses through a 1D inverse task solver optimizer, to continue with meanline (1D) and axisymmetric (2D) analysis, profiling and 3D blade design, 3D finite element analysis (FEA) for structural calculations, secondary air flow hydraulic and thermal calculations, rotor design, bearing analysis, rotor dynamics and 3D CFD calculations. All of this is integrated into one steam turbine design software package with a seamless user interface.
AxSTREAM provides full design and analysis cycles for steam turbine projects in a flexible and integrated environment. The tasks a user can solve with AxSTREAM are:
- Design new steam turbine machines from scratch
- Analyze existing steam turbines and their performance
- Redesign, optimize and upgrade existing steam turbines
- Reverse engineer steam turbine designs
AxCYCLE® for Steam Turbines
At the system level AxCYCLE allows modeling, at design and off-design conditions, the entire Rankine or combined cycle in which the steam turbine will work and even perform some techno-economical studies and optimizations for the overall system. Some of AxCYCLE's capabilities include:
- The abilitiy to input mandatory data to get the turbomachinery elements’ boundary conditions as cycle results are almost instantaneous
- Generation of automated, printer-friendly reports
- Specification of compressor pressure raise at design point, fuel combustion lower heat, turbine rotational speed, etc.
Steam Turbine Services
SoftInWay began in 1999 as an engineering consulting firm specializing in turbomachinery. As we've continued throughout the years, our services have expanded, but our goals have remained the same. We pride ourselves on empowering each client to to overcome the challenges of their most demanding projects. We aim to be an extension of your engineering team, helping each client to overcome the challenges of their most demanding projects. We provide exceptional consulting talent in the challenging field of rotating turbomachinery from turbines to compressors and fans to pumps. We can assist you with your steam turbine design, analysis, and optimization from the initial concept to a production. Project areas that we specialize in include:
- Project definition and technical specifications
- Preliminary design and feasibility studies
- Research and development
- Analysis of existing machines
- Turbomachinery retrofitting and upgrades
- FEA/CFD analysis
- Heat transfer simulations
- Rotor dynamics
- Complete design process (steps 1-8)
Over the years, we have written a number of technical papers on the subject of steam turbines. To read these papers, explore the links below.