Design of High-Pressure Multistage Axial Compressors
March 19th, 2020 | 10:00AM – 11:00AM EST
Multistage axial compressors are an adaptable technology present in industries such as aerospace, ground-based power generation, oil and gas, and marine. The challenges that engineers face when designing axial compressors are multifaceted. Oftentimes axial compressors must be designed to provide high pressure with high aerodynamic efficiency over a wide range of flow rates and shaft rotating speeds. While they are accomplishing all these tasks, however, they need to have a certain degree of aerodynamic stability. The finished product typically ends in a compromise between multiple objectives. The compressor must have the right balance of key design features like the rotating speed, aerodynamic loading, and the number of stages (rows of blades). In the past, designing efficient, high-pressure components that could perform the required duties would typically have to go through several costly design-build-test iterations. However, an advanced compressor design program, which can accurately predict individual stage performance as well as overall performance at different operating conditions, can drastically reduce design time and in turn reduce development costs.
Turbomachinery development has a long history at SoftInWay. Numerous hardware projects have been successfully completed using SoftInWay’s internally developed and cutting-edge design and analysis tools for both component and system level development. By working closely with its clients, SoftInWay has been able to integrate new-age software features to help our clients improve predictive accuracy, performance, and design speed when developing advanced compressor technology.
In this webinar we will discuss the typical steps involved in the design process for a high-pressure ratio multistage axial compressor. We will also touch on common challenges, and how these can be addressed with the use of an advanced axial compressor design system. We’ll conclude the session by demonstrating how to design a multistage axial compressor to meet a specific design point performance goal, as well as other off-design performance goals.
The webinar session will include:
- Industrial and aerospace applications of high pressure multistage axial compressors.
- Design challenges that are encountered when developing a high-pressure axial compressor.
- Introduction to design features of AxSTREAM that enable quick conceptual / preliminary design and analysis of high-pressure axial compressors.
- Live demonstration on the design of a high-pressure multistage axial compressor.
Who should attend:
- Mechanical and aerospace engineers working in the aero-propulsion, marine propulsion and ground power generation industries.
- Managers who would like to expand their knowledge about the capabilities of modern design tools for high pressure multistage axial compressors.
- Faculty members from mechanical and aerospace engineering universities that have courses in turbomachinery design.
- Students who are thinking of careers in mechanical engineering and would like to learn the fundamentals of multistage axial compressors and how they can be designed with modern tools.