Axial Turbine Design: 5-Day Training Course Overview
Zug, Switzerland | November 20-24, 2017
Join us in November for a comprehensive axial turbine design training course, taught by SoftInWay's Director of Engineering, Dr. Boris Frolov. This 5 day training provides participants with a practical understanding of the design, analysis and optimization of axial turbine flow paths for applications such as power generation, aerospace and micro-gas turbines using the AxSTREAM® software platform. The training is divided between, lectures (fundamental and practical) and hands-on sections where trainees are supervised and helped throughout their progress with the tool. Software exercises will be performed using SoftInWay’s AxSTREAM® suite and covers the full design process of axial turbines.
The course scope includes:
- Steam, gas and combined cycles
- Gas dynamics and working fluid properties
- Steam and gas turbine designs - fundamental turbine stage parameters
- Initial turbine sizing - multistage turbines (conceptual design)
- Turbine optimization and detailed design
- Losses in axial turbines
- Off-design performance prediction
- Start-up and shut-down
- 3D blade design
- Structural and vibration analyses
- Blade fastening (disk, root, shroud, lashing wires)
- Blade cooling
- Tertiary components
- Turbine retrofitting
- OEM turbine designs
Who should attend:
- Engineers aspiring to deepen their understanding of steam and gas turbine essentials as a way of improving the overall design practice.
- Design and development engineers of power generation and transportation industries with project and product responsibility.
- Technical managers seeking to improve or expand their product range by incorporating innovative engineering solutions into the turbomachinery design process.
- Academics that are teaching turbomachinery design and need specialized course, tools and reference material based on the latest engineering findings.
Upon completion, participants will be able to design and optimize complete 3D axial turbine flow paths from basic boundary conditions data and will receive a free 30-day trial license of AxSTREAM® for the modules explored to continue their progress toward building more efficient turbomachinery.
About the Instructor:
Dr. Boris Frolov is the Director of Engineering at SoftInWay, managing all of the turbomachinery consulting activities. He has over 35 years experience in steam/gas turbines design, analysis and testing. Earning his PhD in optimization with controlled reaction, he is an expert in steam turbines long buckets aeromechanics. He currently has over 50 technical publications and prior to SoftInWay, he was an Engineering Manager in GE Steam Turbines.
"The training exceeded my expectations. The exposure to a complex design and analysis program was made simple and easy to understand and utilize. The training will allow for continued use of the software."
- Member of the Ethos Energy team
"Because the course was divided in a fundamental theory part and a more practical software part, I was able to concentrate on the most important equations and principles before using them in the software. The fundamental course was a good basis for further study and extensive; All main functions and results of AxSTREAM were understandable afterwards. And where not, further explanation was plentiful.
- Maarten M. van den Brink, Fontys University of Applied Sciences, in the Netherlands
- SoftInWay Consulting Engineer, Vasileios Pastrikakis
- Email: Sales@Softinway.com
- Phone: +41 44 586-1998